You are here
Selection/Acceptance to Radiation Therapy
Invest in your future as a Radiation Therapy major!
Starting out at Baptist College of Health Sciences (BCHS) gives you a competitive advantage!
Students who complete their prerequisite coursework at BCHS have a competitive advantage over other applicants, such as:
- Priority consideration for admission to the professional programs; therefore, we strongly recommend that students plan to attend BCHS as a beginning freshman to complete all prerequisite coursework.
- Career counseling and academic advising given by professional program faculty at BCHS.
- Interaction with current professional/clinical students at BCHS.
- Opportunities to observe a preferred field of study in order to confirm the best career fit prior to application to the professional major.
Selection Criteria for Radiation Therapy
To be considered for selection to the Radiation Therapy program, applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Complete at least 24 semester credit hours of prerequisite coursework, as specified prior to application. Prerequisites courses for the Radiation Therapy program maybe available at BCHS.
Link to pre-requisite course listing for program.
- Able to complete all prerequisite courses, specified by the Radiation Therapy program, prior to enrollment in professional courses.
- Achieved a minimum cumulative college GPA of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale.
- To be competitive in the selection process, applicants should maintain a cumulative college GPA of 3.0 or above. This includes all prior college work, as well as all courses at Baptist College of Health Sciences.
- Earned a minimum of “C” or better in all prerequisite coursework.
- In the same way, applicants should earn a “B” or better in all requisite science and math courses, to be competitive.
Deadline for Application for Selection to Radiation Therapy:
- All completed applications and supportive documentation must be postmarked by September 1st each year to be considered for selection to begin the Radiation Therapy program in the [Insert appropriate beginning term for program] of the following year.
Selection Process for Radiation Therapy:
- All students must first be accepted to the BCHS and then apply to the Radiation Therapy by the published deadline. Link to admission to the college.
- Admission to the BCHS does not guarantee acceptance/selection to the Radiation Therapy program.
- Submit a completed application for acceptance to the program by September 1.
- A minimum of 24 semester credit hours of prerequisite courses must be completed at the time of application to the Radiation Therapy program. Link to pre-requisite course listing for program.
- All completed applications postmarked by July 1 will be reviewed for early selection of a limited number of class seats.
- A selection committee for the Radiation Therapy program will review all completed applications for acceptance to the major in July and September each year.
- Applicants are selected for an interview.
- It should be noted that not all applicants who meet minimum selection criteria will be invited for a personal interview.
- Applicants with a strong academic background and currently enrolled in BCHS, or completing prerequisites at institutions with collaborative agreements, will be considered first for interviews.
- Selection to the Radiation Therapy program is based on the following:
- Academic potential for success from the academic record
- Academic strength in previous college coursework, with specific attention given to performance in the prerequisite courses
- Other personal strengths through a written essay and personal interview
- Knowledge of and motivation for a career in the professional discipline (shadowing is recommended)
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Notification of Selection to the Radiation Therapy program
- Applicants will be notified of selection to the Radiation Therapy program approximately 1 month after the scheduled interview.
Radiation Therapy (RTT) Prerequisites†
Courses marked with * (or approved equivalent courses) must be completed when the application to the RTT program is submitted. Must earn a minimum of “C” or better in all prerequisite coursework (Note: To be competitive in the program selection process, applicants should earn a “B” or better in all requisite science and math courses.)
|Course #||Course Name||Semester Credit Hours|
|BIO 201*||Human Anatomy and Physiology I||4|
|BIO 202*||Human Anatomy and Physiology II||4|
|ENG 101*||English Composition I||3|
|ENG 102*||English Composition II||3|
|MAT 110*||College Algebra||3|
|PHI 301||Biomedical Ethics/Values||3|
|PHY 305||Physics I and Lab||4|
|PHY 315||Physics II and Lab||4|
|PSY 201||General Psychology||3|
|SPE 211||Speech Fundamentals||3|
|HSC 104||Baptist College Experience||1|
|(Required at time of application for students currently enrolled in BCHS. Transfer/articulation agreement students may complete after enrolled at BCHS)|
|Total Prerequisite Hours:||48|
|The following courses must be completed on campus prior to or concurrent with enrollment with in program courses:|
|BIO 320||Cross Sectional Anatomy||2|
|HSC 301||US Health Care Systems||3|
|MAT 201||Introduction to Statistical Methods/Research||3|
|SOC 201||Health and Society||3|
|Students enrolled at BCHS may take the above courses prior to selection to the program. Transfer/articulation agreement students may complete after enrolled at BCHS, unless an articulation agreement allows for transfer course credit for these courses.|
|Allied Health and RTT Program Courses:||60|
|Total Radiation Therapy Degree Hours:||122|
|† Note: All prerequisite and program courses subject to change|